Saturday, June 26, 2010

I had a hard time falling for...

....Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell!


It is a rare occasion when I purchase a hardcover book. Falling In looked magical when I saw it a few months ago at the Scholastic Book Fair and I decided I had to have it! Little red boots on the cover, an Alice in Wonderland appeal, and magical swirls caught my eye. Yet, it goes to prove, looks are decieving. Not until I reached chapter 32 (or so), did I find myself truly engaged in my reading. The adventure, or lack thereof, moves along slowly. The references to Alice in Wonderland and Hansel and Gretel are vague and do not offer much to support the story. Falling In did not have the instant hook I needed to fall in love as I have so many other times. This is not to say, however, there is not an audience for the story. Fantasy lovers, especially those enchanted by fairy tales, may find Falling In to be the perfect summer read. Let me know!