Monday, July 12, 2010

Great Books!


I have read many wonderful books so far this summer! The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins has to be my favorite so far. I must warn you, it is an intense book and can be violent at times. I felt such a connection with the characters, it was hard to put the book down. I would recommend this book for the advanced fifth grade reader and above. Rumor has it The Hunger Games will soon begin filming for a full length movie!



Looking for more adventure and a little less violence? Check out Football Hero by Tim Green. I first fell in love with his books after reading Football Genius. The characters are realistic and beg the reader to relate. I found Football Hero to have a faster pace than Football Genius. Life is not easy for Ty. He is a middle school student who longs to play like his college to pro football star brother, Thane. After losing both of his parents in a car accident and being sent to live with his unforgiving relatives, Ty must overcome more than one obstacle to be able to play for his middle school football team. Will it all work out for Ty? Read and find out!



How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor, is unlike any book I have read before. Georgina is a young girl who must learn to adapt when her father walks out and leaves the family homeless. As her life unravels, Georgina must find a way to help her mother find a home for their family. Stealing a dog with the hopes of claiming a reward becomes a last result for Georgina. It is difficult to compare How to Steal a Dog with the other books I've mentioned, but it should not be overlooked! Let me know what you think.